Episode 29: Know your 40k Opponent
In this episode, we discuss knowing your opponent’s army. It’s always easier to play against an army you know really well. Most of us don’t know every army, unit or formation in the game. That is why it’s important to quickly find out as much about an opponent’s army as possible in that brief time when you trade army lists and get started on playing you game.
What you should ask when you see your opponent’s army?
You need to know what threatens your army and what can prevent it from scoring objectives.
What threatens your army?
- Threat ranges of unfamiliar units (movement and shooting range)
- Blasts and barrage
- Ignores cover, flamers
How do they score objectives?
- What is objective secured
- Movement that is not standard
- Reserve manipulation, scout, infiltrate, deep strike
What special formation and/or detachment rules?
Psychic powers/warlord trait rolled
Army specific things to remember:
- Space Marines
- Dark Angels
- Grey Knights
- Space Wolves
- Adeptus mechanicus and skitarii
- Imperial/Renegage Knights