Episode 118: New 40K: Command Phase & CP
Warhammer 40k has had problems with things that happen “at the beginning of the turn” or “before the movement phase” for a while. They needed a clean-up, start of the turn phase, and the new command phase is it.
At the start of the command phase, “before you do anything else,” you earn 1 CP.
Be prepared for a lot of codexes to have things happen in the Command Phase; resolving abilities, using stratagems, etc.
You cannot gain or refund more than 1 CP per battle round.
You can’t gain or refund off of stratagems that occur “before battle” or “at the end of the battle round.”
The 1 CP you get each turn is exempt from this rule.
You still can’t use the same stratagem more than once during the same phase, and stratagems not used during a battle round are exempt from this limit.
- Command Re-roll: Its limited now to number of attacks, hit, wound, damage, saving throw, advance, charge, psychic test or deny the witch; you re-roll the roll, test, or saving throw. So for 2d6 tests, you re-roll both dice.
- Counter Offensive: The same, its an interrupt stratagem in the fight phase.
- Insane Bravery: Before taking a morale test for a unit, it is automatically passed, only once per battle.
- Cut them down: 1 CP, when an enemy unit falls back, each model in engagement range, on a 6, mortal wound.
- Desperate Breakout: 2 CP, movement phase, a unit in engagement range. Roll a D6 for each model, result of 1, mortal wound, in can Fall Back and move across enemy models as if they were not there. Any model still in engagement range is destroyed, unit can’t do anything after this even if they normally could after falling back.
Fall back Rules: Almost the same, move your M value, cannot shoot or charge or manifest a psychic power, only Titanic units can shoot or manifest a power. No more Fly keyword for falling back!
- Emergency Disembarkation: 1 CP, set up within 6” of a destroyed vehicle rather than 3,” for explosions you remove models on a 1 or a 2. Cannot charge or heroically intervene when disembarking
- Gives you 3 more inches at the potential cost of models killed.
- Less chance of models being killed due to a vehicle surrounded or backed into terrain/board edge.
- Fire Overwatch 1 CP; make an overwatch attack after a charge declared, same attack as before, unmodified roll of a 6, no modifiers.
- Overwatch is NOT automatic anymore, you have to use CP for it and you get to do it with one unit only with this strat.
- Note that Tau have been FAQed to allow overwatch without using CP.
How do these rules impact assault armies? Give and take.
Patreon Page: The Battlehosts
Logo Design: Isaac White Design