Episode 11: The Assault Phase Part 1
In this episode, we talk about the Assault Phase in 40k . In part one, we discuss why assault is an important part of every list, how to get into assault, what makes a good unit, and some tips and tricks for assault.
7th edition 40k is considered a shooing edition, but assault is still important.
Every list should either have an assault element, or an answer for assault
What are the benefits of Assault?
- Usually is a final result; all models are typically destroyed.
- Locks up targets and keeps units safe
- Extra movement and board control
Getting into assault
- Movement to the enemy; assault transports, fast movement/ignore terrain, durable units
- Typically can expect 6-7 inch charge, 8-9 with fleet
- Overwatch typically does not make a difference, except with Tau, but you do have to plan for losing the closest model
- Terrain and line of sight
What makes a good assault unit?
- Need durability, speed, delivery
- Weapon skill above 4
- Attacks matter a LOT
- Strength 3 is not enough against most armies
Special rules that help assault
- Hit and run
- Rage, Furious charge
- Grenades and move through cover
- Counter attack
- Morale control
Tips and tricks with assault
- Eating overwatch with cheap units
- Lock down units with cheap fearless units; zombies and gaunts
- Multi assault
- Keeping an assault element back to pile in after an assault has been initiated
- Good units for counter assault: Strong in assault, but fragile or slow or prone to being shot